Ceftibuten is a 3rd gen cephalosporin that kills bacteria by inhibiting cell wall synthesis. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic.
- Ceftibuten is available as capsule and powder for suspension.
- The usual adult dose for ceftibuten is 400mg per day. The dosage should be divided into 4 individual doses. The treatment usually lasts for up to 10 days.
- For paediatric patients, the recommended dose is 9mg/kg.
- Dosage adjustment is required for renally impaired patients.
How to reconstitute powder for suspension:
- Ceftibuten should be used with caution in people who have had gastrointestinal disorders, especially colitis.
- Diarrhoea, especially if severe and/or chronic, and occurring during or shortly after therapy, could be a sign of Clostridium difficile-associated illness (CDAD). CDAD can range in severity from minor to life-threatening, with pseudomembranous colitis being the most severe.